Polymer Modified Asphalt Mills
Bergkamp Bituminous Solutions offers DenimoTECH manufactured colloid mills for manufacture of Polymer Modified Asphalt.
Critical Design Factors
- When a polymer is poorly mixed and not fully incorporated with the base asphalt, it does not contribute to the performance of the asphalt binder Performance – When we are talking about Polymers, we are really talking about elastomers which is a subset of polymers. They are rubber like a rubber band and rubber that makes tires. These materials recover to the original size and shape after stretching or using a force on them. When “polymers” are used successfully, they do that to roads improving the performance and longevity. If they are not mixed well and not fully incorporated, it is a waste of time, resources, and money because ultimately, they don’t improve the performance of the road. and, by extension, will not contribute to the performance of the road.
- Successful incorporation of polymer into base asphalt results from high sheer. With high sheer mixing, polymers incorporate more completely and faster resulting in a greater return on investment and with lower cycle times.
Maximize Polymer Efficiency
- Polymer needs time and energy to go in. Low shear mixing requires more time (anywhere from 2 to 24 hours to fully incorporate).
- High shear mixing with a colloid emulsion mill drastically reduces mix time.
Speed of Processing
- A Bergkamp colloid emulsion mill is engineered for durability in the following ways:
- Rotor/stator is composed of alloys to resist abrasion of polymers and the mineral fillers that come with the polymer
- All wetted parts (asphalt metal contact) are constructed of stainless-steel alloys
- Silicon carbide sleeve bearings
- Pressurized double mechanical seal system
- 5-year warranty
- Provided as a complete package with mill, motor, and seal lubrication system
- Milling zone with pattern of grooves and teeth for efficient droplet dispersion
- Variable gap adjustment to control particle size distribution
- Low relative power consumption
- All wetted parts made of durable stainless steel construction
- Low noise
- Available in sizes from 6 to 60 t/h and in a laboratory version of 300 l/h